- This event has passed.
Learn to Build Web Pages with HTML & CSS for Kids 8 Week Program | Epping North PS
February 4 @ 2:00 pm - March 25 @ 3:00 pm| $360.00
Get Coding: Learn HTML & CSS to Build a Web Page
We will be using the Get Coding book by the Young Rewired State, a worldwide community of digital-makers aged 18 and under.
The Get Coding! book will not only teach you how to code, but also show you how fun and exciting it can be.
Coding is one of the most important skills young people can learn and there’s never been a better time to master it.
Together with the Get Coding! book and access to the www.getcodingkids.com website, we will learn how to code using three (3) essential programming languages:
In the workshops, following the book, you will learn real-life coding skills you can use to do all kinds of programming.
Mission 1: Build a Webpage
In Mission 1 you are going to learn how to code in the programming languages HTML and CSS. Start off by learning what HTML is and how it works. Then use HTML tags to create a web page. Learn how to change the way your web page looks by coding paragraphs and line breaks, adding images and dividing your page into sections.
Then learn how you can use HTML with a new programming language called CSS. Change the layout and design of your web page by altering the colour, size and shape of your elements. Finally in the Do It Yourself Task use your new skills to build a web page of your own.
Code Skills: What will we learn in Mission 1
- What is HTML?
- What is CSS?
Files & Folders
- Creating a folder
- Creating a HTML File
- Saving your HTML File
- Opening your HTML File
- Learn how to structure a HTML web page and code a simple page with a title and text
Coding Paragraphs & Line Breaks
- Use the paragraph and line break HTML tags to create breaks in your web page
- Add images saved on your computer or from the internet to your web page using the image tag.
- Learn how to divide your web page into sections by grouping pieces of content together.
- Start coding with CSS by using the style attribute to set a CSS property and value.
Using more than 1 CSS property
- Use more than one CSS property at a time to change the design of your web page.
Using CSS Classes & Class Attribute
- Create CSS Classes and apply them to your web page using the class attribute.
Workshop Details: 8 Week 60 Minute Workshops, 2pm – 3pm
Appropriate for kids 9+ with no coding experience or knowledge required.
- Each attendee will be provided with a Get Coding! book and a laptop with WIFI connection to use during the workshop.
- An online HTML Editor will be used to programme & instantly see your web pages live.
- Attendees do not need to bring anything but their enthusiasm & passion to learn coding plus a bottle of water!
- Workshops will involve reading and solving the coding challenges together as a group as well as individually.
- Once you have mastered Mission 1, then you can move onto the other missions.
What do coders think of our workshops?
Today I enjoyed learning HTML coding because now I can make my own web pages. – 11 year old Ben
I enjoyed the coding workshop because we got to do all sorts of HTML tags. 11 year old Justin
What I liked about today was making the different types of web pages and adding pictures on to my web pages. – 11 year old Asher
I enjoyed this workshop because I had a lot of fun coding and got to learn a lot about coding. – 12 year old Urvi
Web Page Creation Example: Using an online HTML Editor, kids can code & view their web pages instantly!