- This event has passed.
July 23, 2017 @ 3:00 am - September 10, 2017 @ 4:00 pm| $360.00
We will be using the Get Coding book by the Young Rewired State, a worldwide community of digital-makers aged 18 and under.
The Get Coding! book will not only teach you how to code, but also show you how fun and exciting it can be.
Coding is one of the most important skills young people can learn and there’s never been a better time to master it.
Together with the Get Coding! book and access to the www.getcodingkids.com website, we will learn how to code using three (3) essential programming languages:
In the workshops, following the book, you will learn real-life coding skills you can use to do all kinds of programming.
Get Coding! Workshops
Mission 3: Build an App
Code Skills: What will we learn in Mission 3
How to Build a Button
- Use the input tag to create a button that the user can click.
Making buttons run code
- Use the onclick attribute to make your button pop-up an alert when it’s clicked.
Methods and Properties
- Find and change the contents of an HTML element using the DOM.
Adding new HTML Elements
- Use the DOM to create and add new HTML elements to your app.
Building the Basic App
- Get the template for the basic version of the app.
Removing a HTML Element
- Use the DOM to remove a HTML element from your app.
Removing more than one HTML Element
- Use the removeChild method to remove multiple HTML elements from your app.
Using the LocalStorage API
- Store the information in your to-do list app in your browser using the localStorage API.
Build a To-Do List App
Workshop Details: 8 Week 1 Hour Workshops, 3pm – 4pm
Appropriate for kids 9+ with no coding experience or knowledge required.
Each attendee will be provided with a Get Coding! book and a laptop with WIFI connection to use during the workshop.
Attendees do not need to bring anything but their enthusiasm & passion to learn coding plus a bottle of water!
Workshops will involve reading and solving the coding challenges together as a group as well as individually.
Once you have mastered Mission 3, then you can move onto the other missions.
Mission 1: Build a Web Page – DONE
Mission 2: Creating a Password – DONE
Mission 3: Build an App – ENROLLED
Mission 4: Maps & Planning Routes
Mission 5: Make a Game
Mission 6: Your Finished Website